We asked WeAreTeachers Helpline readers who dearest their schools to share the earliest signs that they'd establish a good match. What makes a particular schoolhouse a smashing place to teach? Surprise! It'due south not about the kids.

When will you know yous've found your "school domicile?"Cindy B. answers: "When y'all wake upward and want to get to work. When you are there, you don't think about existence somewhere else. When y'all smile most of the day. Yous go home tired and wearied nevertheless you lot don't feel similar crying. You'll know!"

At that place Were Teachers at the Interview

When the school'southward teachers are active members of the hiring committee and interview boards, prospective teachers take a chance to get a sense of their time to come colleagues as well as the opportunity to suss out how much liberty and professional satisfaction the schoolhouse offers. WeAreTeachers fellow member Vanessa S. writes: "I've been at ii wonderful schools. Teachers were part of the interview panels at both schools."

Not but should yous await for teachers at the interview, too look for a somewhat relaxed or "real" attitude among your interviewers, whoever they are: Lydia Fifty. had "a very positive interview with the primary. I had been at several where the principals (and teachers sitting in on the interviews) didn't answer at all to my answers. It was every bit if they didn't desire to give away whatever clues every bit to what they thought of me. I felt like I was 'talking shop' with the principal, and it was an enjoyable conversation. I have loved working for him, and the staff is just as wonderful!"

Pervasive Friendliness

Teachers, staff, and administration at good schools tend to be happy. Happy people are friendly. Ergo, when you see smiles, good manners and warmth, chances are you are at a bully school. As reader Cheri B. says, the best sign yous're at a good school is "being greeted by everyone with a grin." Or every bit Carol H. puts information technology, there'southward "a welcoming surround the infinitesimal yous walk through the door."

Freedom to Plan and Teach

Teachers are professionals and they sure feel better (and work better) when treated as such. As One thousand–viii Spanish teacher Amy J. says, the most important ingredient in her love for her school is "admins who trusted me to brand programme decisions in my classroom and didn't micromanage my planning; admins who supported me and really told me what I was doing well." Lydia A. put it this way: "Administrations that give you a degree of academic freedom, listen, support you when dealing with students and are transparent about their expectations."

Support from Secretaries and Administrative Administration

Teachers actually need aid. Many Helpline readers told us how important "helpful secretaries/administrative assistants" are to their overall satisfaction with their schools.

Teamwork in Action

Over and over once more, Helpline readers have shared that the best schools are those where at that place is a sense of family and teamwork. Reader Kate Yard. wrote that she was function of the team correct from the start: "I sub at the school where I will be working in the fall. I was never treated as 'just a sub.' They immediately treated me as role of the squad. In that location must be at least xxx elementary schools in my district that I could chose from, but I didn't even think to interview with any of them. I knew early on that this is the school for me. I simply hear positive things from the current teachers. They too have a loftier retention rate, which is a practiced sign!"

Carol H. says that she loves her school considering information technology's a place where "teachers and staff work as a team and are genuinely interested in the social, emotional, and academic well-existence of the students, consequent disciplinary practices, supportive parents."

Supportive Parents

Teaching is so much more satisfying and constructive, our readers tell us, when parents of students are "on the team" too—every bit in, the aforementioned team the teachers are on, not the opposing team. These are all home games.

Shared Pedagogical Values

Reader Mandy Jo shared a great story: "Just got my first instruction chore (fifth grade). In the interview of a panel of six, nosotros were talking about goals for our students and I said, 'You know, if my kids can leave my form able to participate in a chat and be a better member of club, merely they aren't at 'proficient' level, then I consider that a task well washed.' So I paused and said 'oh wait, I'm supposed to say I'm data driven! I am data driven' and anybody in the room burst out laughing and gave me loftier fives. I knew that was the school I needed to be a part of later that! They ended up offering me a job shortly after that during the interview. I was so excited to be a role of a team that had a humour!"
7 Signs of the Perfect School_Pin_V2